Good morning. "Save me from an arranged marriage" — A British bachelor who’s using giant pulic boards to find a match.
We hope love finds him
- - -
P.S. Rewards await you when you invite your friends to subscribe to Freshly Pressed. Try it:www.freshlypressed.ng/?r=. You currently have referrals.
Portugal. One of the leading media conglomerates said Thursday that a group calling itself “Lapsus$” hacked the company’s online services, taking down some of its most popular websites and contacting subscribers.
Kazakhstan. Fresh violence erupted in the largest city on Thursday as Russia rushed in paratroopers to put down a countrywide uprising in one of Moscow’s closest former Soviet allies. The uprising began as protests against a New Year’s Day fuel price increase.
Sudan. Security forces have killed at least three anti-coup protesters, as thousands of people rallied across Sudan to denounce military rule. Protesters gathered in several cities on Thursday in the first widescale demonstration since Abdalla Hamdok announced his resignation as prime minister.
Sweden. Public health authorities on Wednesday advised restaurants, cultural venues and leisure centers to ask their customers to show digital proof of COVID-19 vaccination starting next week. The recommendation from the Swedish Public Health Agency isn’t a legal requirement but voluntary guidance for businesses.
1610 Galileo Galilei discovers the first three moons of Jupiter: Io, Europa & Ganymede
1930 Marguerite Perey discovers francium (Fr), the last naturally occurring element to be found
1999 President Clinton's impeachment trial begins in the US Senate after the House voted to impeach him for lying about his affair with Monica Lewinsky
Amazon Purchase, Amazon Tax
The Story Non-resident companies are mandated to remit 6% of turnover from digital services provided to Nigerian customers, the country’s minister of finance, budget and national planning, Zainab Ahmed, said Wednesday.
What is a non-resident company?
A non-resident company is one that is not registered or incorporated in Nigeria but generate revenue from Nigeria. Such companies include Amazon, AliExpress, Twitter, Zoom, and others. Ms Ahmed said this during the public presentation of the 2022 approved budget in Abuja.
Is this backed by any law in the country?
According to the minister, the new tax is stated in the Finance Act signed into law by President Muhammadu Buhari on 31 December 2021. The Finance Act empowers the FIRS to assess and charge on the turnover of the digital companies transmitting or operating in the country.
Will it not be double taxation for these firms, who must be paying taxes in their country of residence?
According to Ms Ahmed, digital services include those provided through apps, trading platforms, online ads etc, and 'digital NRCs are obliged, in the Finance Act, to collect VAT from their Nigerian customers and remit to the FIRS'. SOURCE
The Story Borno state governor, Babagana Zulum, says one of the reasons for shutting down camps for internally displaced persons (IDP) in Maiduguri is because they were being used for criminal activities.
Have the camps been shut?
The governor had announced in October that all IDP camps located within Maiduguri, the state capital, would be shut down by December 31, 2021. Zulum said no responsible administration will tolerate such vices, adding that the camps were closed to protect the integrity of the IDPs.
Is this an ideal time to shut the camps?
Zulum explained that leaving the camps running without a specific period for shutdown wouldn’t be sustainable, especially with the current structures in place. The governor, who argued that the question of closure of the camps was not a matter of if but when, said that "as part of the closure, we continue to learn lessons, adapt our strategy and make necessary changes as we go along".
"The idea of IDP camp was and remains an interim measure to provide safety, especially during the peak of the insurgency. Consequently, the camps were not meant to continue forever", the governor said. SOURCE
Australia Doesn't Get the Djok
The Story Imagine flying 14 hours from Dubai to Melbourne, being questioned by border officials overnight, then told you have to fly back home.
Did the person enter illegally?
No, but that’s what happened to Novak Djokovic on Wednesday and Thursday. While on his way to compete in the Australian Open later this month, the No. 1 ranked tennis player’s visa to enter the country was rejected by the Australian government, throwing his quest to win a record 21st major title in serious doubt.
Was the visa not given by Australian officials?
There's more to it than just visa. Djokovic, who has previously said he’s opposed to Covid vaccines, was granted a medical exemption by the tournament’s organizers so he could compete. But clearly they didn’t run that decision by government officials, who said Djokovic hadn’t provided evidence to meet Australia’s entry requirements.
Has he now been ruled out of the tournament?
Djokovic will remain in a Melbourne hotel until at least Monday, when his case will be heard by a court. That Djokovic was allowed to play in the first place was greeted with a torrent of criticism by lockdown-weary Australians, who accused the tennis star of receiving preferential treatment. Meanwhile, people in Djokovic’s native Serbia are also upset over the situation, but in defense of Djokovic. Serbia's President Aleksandar Vucic called what was going on “harassment of the best tennis player in the world.” SOURCE
Joe With The Flow
The Story On Sunday, U.S. President Joe Biden met with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.
What did they discuss?
During their meeting, Biden let Zelensky know that the U.S. would “respond decisively if Russia further invades Ukraine." The meeting came just a few days after Biden met with Russian President Vladimir Putin, where he pushed Putin to ease tensions created by the gathering of up to 100,000 Russian troops at the Russia-Ukraine border.
What's Russia's problem with Ukraine?
Russia has been demanding security assurances from the US and NATO, including a binding pledge that NATO won't expand further east and will not allow Ukraine to join the military alliance, none of which it has gotten assurance on. The U.S. and its European allies have made it abundantly clear to Russia that there would be consequences for any military actions it might take against Ukraine.
How did Russia respond to that?
During his Friday call with Putin, Biden threatened heavy sanctions from NATO allies and increased NATO presence in Europe should Russia make a move. In response, according to a Kremlin aide that spoke after the meeting, Putin had told Biden that introducing a new round of sanctions against Russia would amount to a "colossal mistake" that could lead to a complete breakdown of relations between the two countries.
U.S. intelligence findings state that Russian forces could invade Ukraine "as soon as early 2022." SOURCE
In what type of government does political power pass down through the generations?
QUESTION & ANSWER
QUORA QUESTION: What are 10 extremely beneficial life hacks that everyone should know about?
1. If someone is talking to you nonstop and you feel that they’re becoming a nuisance and should stop, to slow them down, just stare at a point above their head and maintain your stare. Soon or later they’ll stop because they’ll think you’re not really paying attention.
2. Most people like to brag and all they do is talk about themselves. Just look at them straight in the eye without blinking and they’ll start feeling guilty.
3. Regardless of your level of education, you’re at least 20% better than what you actually think. Self-confidence is the attitude that levels the playing field and makes you look smarter to other people than you think you are.
4. The best way to escape from any sort of trouble or from an awkward situation is to tell jokes and stories. Telling jokes and stories draws more attention from other people far quicker than any other trick, and forces people to like you.
5. Have you been trying to win over a difficult girlfriend/boyfriend without much success? Try this: Volunteer to read them a storybook, preferably a romantic one every lunch hour or during a coffee break. Don’t show that you’re interested in them romantically. Don’t even show that you’re jealous when another person tries to date them. S/he will first become your best friend, then s/he will start feeling jealous when s/he sees you with another person. This is a signal that s/he is ready for a romantic affair.
6. Have you ever noticed that nobody hates jokes? Well, nobody hates jokes because they make people happy and forget their miseries for a while. Even the most sadistic of people will love jokes. Telling jokes will make you an instant star, and you’ll be loved by almost everyone. Telling jokes will make people give you what you want because they’d love to see you again.
7. If you’ve been trying to get a date from a member of the opposite sex without much success, then try this: Make friends with a beautiful/handsome member of the opposite sex and pretend he/she is your girlfriend or boyfriend. Make sure your’re seen together often by the person you’ve been trying to date. The person you’ve been trying to date will be dying with envy and confusion, and before long he/she will break.
8. Carrying a small mirror in your pocket or handbag has two uses. The first one is to quickly check yourself up to make sure you’re always looking good before you meet important people. This improves your self-image and self-confidence. The second one is that you can always spy on a person without them ever suspecting—especially someone you suspect.
9. The best medicine is at no charge—laughter. It enhances your intake of oxygen-rich air, stimulates your heart, lungs and muscles, and increases the endorphins that are released by your brain. It activates and relieves stress response, and more importantly, it can be induced any time you want it. What you don’t know is that when you laugh, every organ in your body laughs as well, bringing into harmony all the organs of your body into oneness.
10. Perhaps the biggest hack in life is to forgive yourself. Forgiving yourself opens up your life to a new flow of energy you did not have before you locked yourself in the prison of unforgiveness. SOURCE
In what type of government does political power pass down through the generations?